Sunday, June 7, 2009

Progress Report - Five Little Goslings, etc.

Proud Father Goose Leads The Way


Followed by the kids sporting new feathers - aren't they handsome!


Wait! Dad! Who are those other Geese?
Oh, it's us? Why, we are quite handsome, aren't we?

As you can see, the babies are growing by leaps and bounds, and all but one have their full compliment of adult feathers. One of the girls is still showing a downy neck, so I assume she
must be the "baby sister." She's first in line in the parade picture and if you click to enlarge
you can see that she doesn't quite yet have her black neck. In my reading I've learned that while the mother and father tend to nesting, hatching and teaching duties they go through their annual molt and are unable to fly. Nature works it out with wonderful timing, because by the time the babies have their flight feathers, mom and dad have their new feathers as well, and are ready to begin flying school. I understand the babies learn to "take off" from the water and learn by imitation ... I'm hoping that I'll be able to catch a glimpse of the first flight!

My first airplane ride came in a little yellow Piper Cub (with a red interior) when I was very young - maybe only five years old - and I can still recall the thrill and sense of freedom when we left the ground and began to climb above the earth. I can only imagine what these babies will feel when they realize those wings are for flying!

The first pictures I shared of these babies were taken less than a month ago - I can't believe how quickly they've grown in just a few weeks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for showing us how the small guys are doing! I just love the pictures!
I know this feeling of freedom when a plane leaves the ground!!

Taking about the first flight: Some month ago I saw a programme about some orphan geese just like yours (In Danish they are called 'Canada Geese' :O)..). When it was time to learn how to fly, the man that took care of them started his small glider, and the geese followed the plane....quite funny to see....

A couple of years ago a duck was nesting in my flower box - I have a flat on 2nd floor - and when it was time to leave the nest, the mother called them from the lawn down below...and the wee ones jumped...with some hesitation though :O).

I also hope that you will their first flight!

June 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Raluca said...

he,he,he!!!how sweet!Geese and ducks are the most ''civilisated pedestrial''!Aputsiaq´s story is fun as well:))!

June 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home