Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent, 2010

The First Sunday of Advent, Anno Domini 2010

The lessons of childhood, when well and lovingly taught over the course of many growing seasons become the traditions of a lifetime, no matter how far the student may travel from home in the seasons of adulthood. So it was that today as I thought about many things, my sub-conscious suddenly informed me "this is the first Sunday of Advent." In the congreations of my childhood, fellow Lutherans watched solemnly as the first candle of the wreath was lit, and the organist began the introductory notes of "Come O Come Emmanuel!" I am sure that in all the existing Lutheran congregations of the world, Advent wreaths were lit today, and the first chords of that strangely melancholic entreaty to the Christ Child sounded through vaulted halls of worship.

I am many decades removed from my childhood in human years, and light-years removed in terms of human thought, perceptions of the Universe, and the place human beings occupy in the grand scheme of things. But still, some years more strongly than others, my inner being will harken back to those old days of other family and friends, softly flickering candle light, and words spoken with a sweetly familiar accent. So, memories of those times came to me today, unbidden, but welcome, and I will prepare to enjoy this holiday season with an inner ear listening to what it is those voices from another time have to tell me.

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.









2 Comments:

Anonymous Lynne said...

I remember singing that hymn in the church (Episcopal) choir. :)

It's my favorite hymn.

November 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger basicnorth said...

It is wonderful isn't it? Such a primitive melody - almost like Gregorian Chant.

November 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home