Thursday, September 10, 2009

Full Moon In Red - Better Late Than Never


This is a picture of the full moon as seen in East Central Indiana on September 4th or 5th .... it came up as red as fire and stayed that way for quite a while ... credit my daughter for this photo - I thought she did a wonderful job ... picture was actually taken within a few feet of a very ancient, pre-Columbian Indian earth work which is placed to correspond with the equinoxes. Even though we're a few days away from the Autumnal Equinox, the sun set and moon rise are beginning to align with the entrances to this "rectangular" mound. I'm fighting what I hope is NOT "Swine Flu," and if I feel better in a few days, I'll be on the lookout for the Autumn Star which is named Fomalhaut .... when it passes over the point of the Fall Equinox, country folk, the ancient peoples and animals know that winter is coming, and it is time to gather in, or just begin the trek home to winter encampments.

In Indiana, the trees have been turning for several weeks now, and the corn is dried out just about half-way up the stalks. The soy bean fields are flecked with patches of yellow gold, and the second cutting of hay is baled and out of the fields. The deer are coming out of the woods and into fields as well, it isn't unusual to see them in numbers of four and five ... yes, winter is coming and the Old Farmers Almanac says it is going to be very cold and snowy this year.

I wish I could fly away.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ricka,

I hope you're OK by now!! Or if you aren't: Please get well, soon!!

I just love the photo of the moon!!! It's so hard to take that kind of photo...I can't with my camera. A red/orange moon...compelling! Here in DK it was pale, white...and I went to the kitchen window to take a look at it many, many times. I woke up in the middle of the night...and the pale light came into my room...it found its way through the Venetian blinds...nature always finds a way :O)

Our connexion to nature, the equinoxes, Autumn Star and the Old Farmers Almanac...I enjoyed to read about it all...this is my kind of blog! THANKS!!! TAK!!

September 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home