Saturday, October 17, 2009

October Morn ......


At first light, on a drizzly, cold and damp October morning, the toadstools made their scheduled appearance in the long, rain-soaked grass of my yard. They materialize every year around the middle of October and march and dance along the root lines of an ancient Chinese Elm tree. For me and mine, they signal the true beginning of the Season of the Witch. These aren't the joyful "Fairy Circles" of a mid-summer's eve, but I'm sure they're inhabited by fairies and other magical beings all the same. The sturdy toad stools are just the right height to be a true throne for autumn fairies, a magical black squirrel or perhaps a dancing hare who is waiting for the moon to reappear.



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooh, the black squirrel....and he doesn't have a white chest! He's so cute...and curious!

Thanks for showing us the toad stools (it is such a funny English word...stools for toads ;O)...)!! As read your wonderful post, Ricka, I realized that the 'adult inside me' had taken over today...and your post about fairies and other magical beings made me remember the the small child who is also there! Thank you...I needed it so!

Ricka, if you speak to Isbjørn please say hi...I'm sorry that I haven't written you and Bear...I hope to do it soon!

October 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger basicnorth said...

Hi Mette'! Wouldn't you just know that last night as we came home from "away" there was a *black bunny and a blue bunny" playing in the yard at the end of our driveway ... I've seen black bunnies but never a blue one ...

I believe there must be magic afoot - shall we begin to make wishes or just cast spells?

October 26, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home